Monday, June 4, 2018

Bob Lonsberry Wants To Block Your Tweets and Unfriend You on Facebook

For a radio talk show host who relies on the opinion of others for his livelihood, Bob Lonsberry is pretty short-sighted. His most recent column, IT'S TIME TO WEED THE GARDEN (yes, it's all caps, because Bob likes shouting) espouses the principle of blocking, un-folowing and un-friending anybody and everybody who upsets your polite sensibilities. Bob's idea of "social media" is tea-totaling over the news of the day, insipid pictures of your dog or latest meal, or, an endless stream of selfies taken with people whom you deem important or praiseworthy (in Bob's case, this group is exclusively defined by cops, firemen and politicians).
I refuse to let my social media time, or my group of friends, be their political toilet paper. A snotty jab and you’re gone. Bye bye. I promise never to think of you again. For months, I’ve muted or unfollowed the most obnoxious and ambitious of posters. A couple of years ago I stopped posting public comments on my online column. My thought was to quietly turn away. Let them rage on, but let them rage on out of my hearing.
What a crybaby! Poor Bob, he doesn't like people who disagree with him or his points of view and express themselves with passion. Maybe Bob needs a stint as an intern at a Facebook cleanup camp. If Bob continues to block and unfriend the people by whom he is upset, he'll end up with a small gang of sycophants who will praise him and glorify his opinions as the word of the Messiah of the right. Bob banned me a while ago, and you can't comment on his articles any more. Maybe what Bob really needs is a pacifier, which usually quiets babies with the joys of suckling. Perhaps then, when somebody says, "hey Bob, you suck," there will be proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment